Skip to content

Surprise! Baby Ethan has arrived

2010 December 30
by bvoboril

We have come to the conclusion that February 2011 was an unacceptable due date for our little guy, because he decided to join us yesterday, Dec. 29 at 4:40pm…just shy of 8 weeks early.

Our day went a little like this:
3:30am: Wake to what we think is my water breaking

4:20pm: Arrive at the Childbirth Assessment Center at Barnes Jewish Hospital after a call to our doctor, who met us there.

4:21pm: Admitted to hospital, water confirmed broken, slightly dilated.
No contractions.

4:21-7am: Blur of Tests and Information.

7:00am: Settled in a room on the Barnes Labor & Delivery floor for what they hope will be the next 48 hours. I am given a steroid shot to help baby’s lungs get stronger, and put on magnesium to prevent labor.

8:30am: Call family, friends, and work to let them know we are in the hospital. Try to relax.

10am: Have met with every doctor, nurse, ect. Feeling better about baby’s size, chances of god health if born today.

12pm: Little contractions begin. Painless.

2pm: Contractions get a little stronger, still not too painful.

3:35pm: Contractions start to become painful, but still not big.

4:10pm: Contractions become very painful, request epidural and doctors are requested to check cervix.

4:20ish: Dilated to 4 cm, contractions are extremely painful and intense. Urge to push is u

ncontrollable. No epidural can be given.

4:25ish: Doc and nurses swarm our room for an emergency delivery. I am now fully dilated. Start to push.

4:40: Ethan is born! 3lbs 7oz, 18″ long. Full head of dark wavy hair. Crying, kicking, and wisked away to a heat lamp next to my bed.

Children’s Hospital and Barnes Hospital doctors check him, clean him up, and get ready to transport him to Children’s NICU. He could have gone to the Barnes Special Care Nursery, but they were full and we were more comfortable with him being at the BEST facility, which for him, is Children’s.

This morning (Thursday) Ethan was breathing COMPLETELY on his own, keeping his temperature, and is very alert.  We held him against our skin for hours because all the doctors agree it is the best way to bond and care for him now.

Ethan is the biggest baby in the NICU, and while very high priority and receiving the best possible care, is doing so well that the doctors are no concerned about his health.  Dr. Cole, who is just incredible, is the head doctor in the NICU and assures us Ethan is very strong and healthy and will just fine.

Here are some photos from today!  We are heading to the NICU now to see him for a couple hours now.  We will post more tomorrow!

7 Responses
  1. Sandy Schon permalink
    December 31, 2010

    Thanks for the fabulous pictures!! He is adorable. Can’t wait to see him and hold him. You guys are doing a great job. We love you all.

  2. Vi Spinner permalink
    December 31, 2010

    Eathan looks so good and Dad looks so proud. We will keep tabs on him daily. Thanks for news. GG

  3. Cathy coleman permalink
    December 31, 2010

    Congrats guys! He’s really cute. Chldrens s a really great hospital. Glad Ethan is receivng excellent care. Let me know if you need help with Dewey or maybe some help cleaning. Cathy

  4. LInda Johnson permalink
    December 31, 2010

    He is precious and I too cannot wait to hold him. I agree with Sandy, you both are doing a great job!!! love ya

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

  1. Blog Friends—Meeting Amber! |
  2. Hello Trimester Three -
  3. First Week On Our Own -

Comments are closed.